Where has the time gone

So my last post was forever and a day ago. I have written multiple attempts of a post but never seem to finish. So at your cost due to my laziness I am going to give you the cheap seat version of what has happened in the last 6th months.

September – I went to Denmark and represented the great USA on top of the podium in both the road race and the individual time trial at the 2011 Para-Cycling Road World Championships. I then went to London with the www.britainbound.com group. I got to see Cambridge, Westminster Hall, 10 Downing St, the Cotswold’s, Royal Shakespeare Company, cooking with Rob Reese, dinner with US government officials, and the Velodrome. I then went home, well I went back the US, I didn’t go home just yet. I met up with my dad in Reno. Unfortunately I did not make it in time to watch him race. There was a bad accident and the races were cancelled. I ended up driving through to Sacramento and hang with a friend. I raced in a local criterium and had a blast. With a small detour I drove to have lunch with some friends and then drove to LA. I started to get ready for Velodrome Nationals in Carson, CA. That was a fun trip. I drank a lot of coffee in Long Beach and did a bunch of riding along the spill ways in LA County.

October – Nationals were fun. It was nice to see everybody and know that everyone was in the same place that I was. Tired and ready for a real break of the bike. If you know me I can’t stay off the bike for very long. After retracing my step and then some I made my way north to Rossland, BC for some awesome mountain biking. It rained and I rode. I was covered in mud and loved every moment of it. After a week up north I made my way back to Colorado Springs. I then made a quick trip to New York City to have a new leg made. Well the original plan was to have just a new socket made but when I walked in with a busted knee the shop felt sorry for me and helped me acquire a new one. So I got a new leg.

November – I started off with a camp in Carson, CA trying to get more rust off the velodrome bike and get ready for the Para-PanAm Games in Guadalajara, Mexico. I started a new job while on the road. That was rather interesting but if you know me I don’t like to keep thing boring. The road time trial was first and it was rough. Literally. The roughest pavement, if you could call it that, I have ever ridden. I rode well be that was not my style of course. My teammate Anthony did really well finishing 4th. Next was the Velodrome where I went to set two new world records, yeah!! Then there was the road race. I got to help out my teammate but was pretty much just riding. After the Games I went back to New York to celebrate Thanksgiving with my sister and her fiancés and his family. My mother met me there and we had a great time. Until… I got a tooth infection, made things a lot of fun. Managed to get it fixed enough to get home and with no pain. I got home and immediately unpacked and repacked my car.

December – I arrive to Chula Vista and make my home at the Olympic Training Center there. It was nice to be in one place for a bit of time but it was still not home. My time spent in Chula was like an extended training camp. Same people, same rides, every day. No complaint it just wasn’t like riding at home. Which I am glad I was in CA because it got cold in CO. I came home to Colorado Springs for the Christmas break and New Years.

January – Start the run up to World Championships. Every weekend was spent up in Carson, CA at the velodrome trying to get everything together in time for the World Championships. I was glad for the change in scenery but was definitely getting tired of the drive, but that was life.

February – Race time. The final prep camp and then it was down to business. I was super excited as all of the teams started to ride. We, the team, were all grouped together and made the hotel floor like home. The first race was the 500m sprint and I had a great ride. So did two others and I finished 3rd. In the 3k pursuit I was tied for 1st place up until the last lap in the qualifier where I finished 3rd, bummer but still a good ride. The final was fun. I had the lead for the whole race but didn’t really start to pull away until the end. I finished ahead of the Spaniard and finished 3rd place. After quickly packing everything up and heading back to CO I did the same dance that I did in November. I unpacked my car and repacked my car. This time was to get ready for ski season. Yes I am crazy. I headed up to Vail, CO to get in some training days before my first race in two years. I had a blast and stayed with some really cool friends. The first race was at the end of the month in Park City, UT, with a Giant Slalom and Slalom. With big grins on my face I managed to win both events and take the overall for the race. Back home for a couple of day of R&R before going to a World Cup.

March – Yes you can say it again, I am crazy. With two days of free skiing, six days of training, and two races under my belt I was competing at a World Cup in Winter Park, CO. I was very happy that I remembered how to ski. I finish the first Super-G 1.5 seconds out of 1st sitting 5th, the second Super-G was 2 seconds out of 1st again sitting 5th. I finish the Giant Slalom in 7th and 6th. I started the slalom by finishing 2nd after the first run but fell in the second run finishing 5th. Not bad considering the amount of training. I was super happy with what I managed to do.

I am now back on my bike, suffer from the whiplash of switching sports twice in one month and working part time. I am super happy and ready for what has yet to come. Can’t wait for the summer and all it brings.

One thought on “Where has the time gone

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *